Based in downtown NYC, CourseHorse is the first marketplace that helps people discover & enroll in trusted local classes, ranging from casual programs like cooking & art, to professional courses like finance and programming. We believe that learning is a lifelong pursuit, and our goal is simple: to make that pursuit easier.
We're the market leader in a $40 billion industry, yet we're still a small, 20 person company seeking passionate, talented team members to get in on the ground floor & help steer us to the stars.
CourseHorse is seeking an email marketing manager with a flair for copywriting and design to help us merchandise the thousands of classes on our site via partnerships, email marketing & communications, as well as other larger strategic initiatives.
You'll be working on a small, savvy marketing team tasked with optimizing user growth, engagement and revenue. As CourseHorse continues to grow, your role will evolve, and we need a flexible marketer with diverse skillsets to help us build our business.
Every week, you will:
- Oversee the development & execution of email campaigns for B2B and B2C audiences
- Own and drive creative briefs, copy requests and updates for new and existing email programs
- Assist in strategic thinking, analysis and development of a customer driven segmentation
- Ensure the design of email templates in HTML to be compatible on different email clients, web browsers, and mobile
- Execute ongoing testing regimen (subject lines, layout, format, frequency, etc.) to continuously improve email performance focused on user engagement
- Work with third party email software provider to manage, execute, optimize email campaigns
- Pitch new marketing & promotional ideas to maximize revenue potential of our existing partner network
- Deliver compelling content that results in the best possible sales conversion and user experience
- Project manage the execution of site updates, email campaigns and digital marketing programs.
- Coordinate the development of creative content for emails and site
- Analyze web and email analytics information for optimizing traffic and sales
You will excel in this role if you have:
- 1-3 years email channel experience, with hands on experience building and deploying promotional and transactional emails
- Extraordinary oral & written communication skills
- A high level of organization and attention to the little details that make marketing & advertising outstanding
- Experience with major ESP's (SailThru a plus!)
- Experience with Google Analytics
- Proficiency in HTML, CSS, and Photoshop
- A flair for attractive and user-friendly design
- Deep self-motivation and the ability to self-manage – a curiosity and independence that makes you seek out your own answers and try new things first
- Above all, a positive, can-do attitude and extraordinary hustle
- A bachelor's degree (highly preferred)
How to know if CourseHorse is a good fit:
- You’re looking for more than just a job – you have a desire to help build something real, and are ready to invest the time it takes to make that happen!
- You have an interest and appreciation for education and active lifestyles, and a desire to help people connect with both
- You appreciate autonomy – we arm you with the knowledge, the skillset and support system, but you synthesize everything yourself to make it work
- You’re focused on building a diverse set of skills (or a very particular set of skills) that will help you throughout the rest of your career – as an education company, team member development is priority #1
- You like fun, fast paced, (sometimes fabulously witty) environments, and want to work in downtown NYC
- You want to be friends with the people you work with
Compensation / Perks
- Competitive salary & stock options
- Monthly class scholarship
- Snacks and dinners covered
- Powerful hardware/software support
- Flexible vacation
Style Guide (for the application question)
Who We Are
- Personal: We want to get to know our students and we want them to know us, too.
- Friendly: We want everyone who interacts with us to leave us feeling happy.
- Aspirational: We want everyone to be their best selves, and believe CH can help achieve this
- Intelligent and Curious: We’re lifelong learners who are interested in and open to learning as much as possible. We know there is always something to discover.
- Inspirational: We urge and inspire our users to learn the things they’ve always been interested in and constantly discover new experiences.
- Clever: We encourage puns and wit.
Who We Aren’t
- Formal: We seek to blur the communication divide between seller and consumer.
- Gimmicky: We see learning as a valid experience that builds upon itself, not a one-off fad.
- Pushy and Sales-y: We inspire people to want to learn more on their own rather than guilting them to take a class.
- Negative: We purposefully use “learning” rather than “education” - we dissociate from the archaic, stressful, and obligatory connotations of primary + secondary education.
- Childish: We stay away from cutesy words, phrases, sentence structure, and punctuation.
Sample Newsletters (also for the application question)
While your other friends are scouring the wedding registry for the third decorative candle holder in the set of six, we recommend that you treat the happy couple to a classy experience they'll never forget.
Crafty Classes Newsletter
Whether you're a master craftsman who first emerged from the womb whittling your very own baby spoon or you're a total newbie whose last artistic creation was a finger painting in kindergarten, we've got a class with your name (handstamped) on it.
Given that it's Memorial Day weekend, you may be busy right now hatching an intricate city escape strategy involving secret tunnels, bridges & ferries, or you could just be reveling in the fact that you don't have to worry about that this year because you're staying put. Regardless of how you're spending the weekend enjoy 10% off classes purchases through Wednesday, 5/27/2015.
As kids, summers meant boldly exploring where no one had explored before (possibly in that crawl space under the deck or your neighbors yard). This year we challenge you to channel your childhood curiosity, put those summer Fridays to good use and discover something you've always wanted to.
Tech Class Guide
Whether you're looking to make a career move into the tech world or have been coding since Napster was a thing, we scrummaged up a few programming classes we thought you might enjoy.